Vics CD 180G Peninsula

I haven't updated this thread in a while. I think since the last time, I added two longfin fairy wrasse. My carpet anemone died. I still can't keep any SPS alive. I got an ICP test done that didn't help at all. So, I'm still trying to figure out why this tank and acros just doesn't seem to work out.

Attachments

• IMG_3210.jpeg
    IMG_3210.jpeg
    289.8 KB · Views: 123
Sorry for the grief. But if I had to pick between keeping acros alive or gonis....I'd definitely pick gonis.

I have that sump and I like it a lot. I was worried that the passive flow fuge wouldn’t get enough flow, so I put a diversion off of one of my drain pipes into the fuge with a valve to feed extra flow to the fuge. I don’t really think it was necessary, but I like having the ability to have some control over the flow rate to the fuge.

I also don’t use the ato reservoir since my sump is right next to my mixing station. In hindsight, I wish I had went ahead and cut out the wall between the fuge and ato reservoir to expand the fuge. Next time the sump is dry, I plan to do just that.

I haven't updated this thread in a while. I think since the last time, I added two longfin fairy wrasse. My carpet anemone died. I still can't keep any SPS alive. I got an ICP test done that didn't help at all. So, I'm still trying to figure out why this tank and acros just doesn't seem to work out.
Very nice.

I have that sump and I like it a lot. I was worried that the passive flow fuge wouldn’t get enough flow, so I put a diversion off of one of my drain pipes into the fuge with a valve to feed extra flow to the fuge. I don’t really think it was necessary, but I like having the ability to have some control over the flow rate to the fuge.

I also don’t use the ato reservoir since my sump is right next to my mixing station. In hindsight, I wish I had went ahead and cut out the wall between the fuge and ato reservoir to expand the fuge. Next time the sump is dry, I plan to do just that.
I thought about doing that with the ATO section, but I really didn’t have much of a need for a fuge since my nutrients run low and my have a ton if pods. I might change it tho later down the road if I decide to add a mandarin

I swear, sometimes this hobby is so stressful. I haven’t made any changes. Pay all this money for ICP test that doesn’t help solve anything.

Well, I had a torch for several months, then the past weekend, I saw a head dying so I decided to pull it out and dip it. I put it in my QT tank to be safe so it won’t harm my other torches. Just came back from work and 2 more heads died.

Attachments

• E79494DB-B52B-45C1-808B-CB086F3AD5E6.jpeg
    E79494DB-B52B-45C1-808B-CB086F3AD5E6.jpeg
    370.3 KB · Views: 80
I had the same thing happen a few years ago to a torch. I found a magnet had rusted and I assume that was the issue. Good luck turning it around.

Doing my routine sock changes and maybe this helps someone. But I used to find it a chore to flip the socks inside out, but then I started to only unroll it halfway (see pics), its easy to pull it inside out each time. Also, if you have a red sea sump, you can buy any sock and cut the trim to fit it.

Attachments

• 3B5269DD-57F7-4AE4-9914-5F4FDBBFA77B.jpeg
    3B5269DD-57F7-4AE4-9914-5F4FDBBFA77B.jpeg
    183.4 KB · Views: 55
  • 7CC804D8-FD8E-4502-A828-D5DF9DF3F366.jpeg
    7CC804D8-FD8E-4502-A828-D5DF9DF3F366.jpeg
    130.8 KB · Views: 90
So, I had bought these lights in a close out for cheap and they work great but dang, I’m not sure but every blip in power surge it resets all the programming.

Which brings me to the topic, do anyone use any type of battery back up on their system? Like the computer UPS stuff? I think this might be my best bet but not sure how long they last with 6 lights on them. Any suggestions?

So, I had bought these lights in a close out for cheap and they work great but dang, I’m not sure but every blip in power surge it resets all the programming.

Which brings me to the topic, do anyone use any type of battery back up on their system? Like the computer UPS stuff? I think this might be my best bet but not sure how long they last with 6 lights on them. Any suggestions?
I have a couple for the Vortech’s, building some with 24 or 12 VDC for other DC powered things/pumps. The problem with a 120 VAC type UPS on a high power/current device like lights is that they don’t last long or they cost big $$!

It's been a while since my update, but it looks like since the last update I lost almost all my torches and gonis. Not exactly sure why, but then again, I haven't been really focusing much on my tank due to life in general. Also, picked up boating and been busy doing that on the weekends with my kids. I had sold off my 19' Yamaha and went to a 24' Regal. First jet boat was with the Yamaha and would never go back, they are so LOUD!!!

Anyways, onto tank updates...

Over the past 6 months, I have been cleaning it up, added a few fish (see OP for updated list) and recently started testing out some acro frags. I don't recall when, but I picked up a glowstik acro from @york1 and it was doing well. So, I had picked up some more frags off another member. Had a hiccup because I broke my own rule and didn't remove the frags off the plug and ended up dealing with AEFW. Luckily it was just only a few frags that I never glued down, so I tossed two frags out that looked like they were beyond saving then pulled the other few and dipped weekly. After the 2nd dip, I never saw any more come off. I did this for 5 weeks total, every Saturday. The past 3 dips, I did not see anything come off, so based on AEFW life cycle, I believe I am safe. Also, just to be clear, the AEFW did not come from @york1 and I won't say who it did come from, because it was my own mistake for not treating it properly.

I never been a person to chase PH, but I have noticed slower growth than what I'm use to in my previous tank and I haven't changed any of my methods. So, I started taking a look at my PH and realized my PH ranges from 7.75-7.85. I don't think this would cause any death in corals, but I do feel like it would stunt growth. So, I picked up a Kalk Stirrir from @Cook and hopefully it can help combat the low PH. I have to make slow adjustments tho so it doesn't impact my alk too much since I have my calc reactor set pretty stable.

Also, added a light behind the tank for visual appeal. It looks so much cooler in person because it adds so much depth to the tank.

IMG-4968.jpg

It's been a while since my update, but it looks like since the last update I lost almost all my torches and gonis. Not exactly sure why, but then again, I haven't been really focusing much on my tank due to life in general. Also, picked up boating and been busy doing that on the weekends with my kids. I had sold off my 19' Yamaha and went to a 24' Regal. First jet boat was with the Yamaha and would never go back, they are so LOUD!!!

Anyways, onto tank updates...

Over the past 6 months, I have been cleaning it up, added a few fish (see OP for updated list) and recently started testing out some acro frags. I don't recall when, but I picked up a glowstik acro from @york1 and it was doing well. So, I had picked up some more frags off another member. Had a hiccup because I broke my own rule and didn't remove the frags off the plug and ended up dealing with AEFW. Luckily it was just only a few frags that I never glued down, so I tossed two frags out that looked like they were beyond saving then pulled the other few and dipped weekly. After the 2nd dip, I never saw any more come off. I did this for 5 weeks total, every Saturday. The past 3 dips, I did not see anything come off, so based on AEFW life cycle, I believe I am safe. Also, just to be clear, the AEFW did not come from @york1 and I won't say who it did come from, because it was my own mistake for not treating it properly.

I never been a person to chase PH, but I have noticed slower growth than what I'm use to in my previous tank and I haven't changed any of my methods. So, I started taking a look at my PH and realized my PH ranges from 7.75-7.85. I don't think this would cause any death in corals, but I do feel like it would stunt growth. So, I picked up a Kalk Stirrir from @Cook and hopefully it can help combat the low PH. I have to make slow adjustments tho so it doesn't impact my alk too much since I have my calc reactor set pretty stable.

Also, added a light behind the tank for visual appeal. It looks so much cooler in person because it adds so much depth to the tank.

View attachment 61254
Man your right, the light behind it adds so much depth. Looks great! Congrats on the boat. I had a 2009 Yamaha SX230 I loved.

So, there has been a few people that seen the growth of my fish and it is pretty significant compared to some friends that got similar at around the same time. In every case, my fish is almost or at least double in size.

Daily, I feed mixed dry pellets on an auto feeder 2x a day. Half a full sheet of seaweed that you would buy from a farmers market. Then about 2-3 frozen cube worth, mixed up variety, with selcon and vitachem soaked in.

Attachments

• F12B325C-6D91-4E66-8E6D-2A8546BF7FEE.jpeg
    F12B325C-6D91-4E66-8E6D-2A8546BF7FEE.jpeg
    249.2 KB · Views: 56
  • C9189BF0-476E-46CD-B5E8-322D68688A5A.jpeg
    C9189BF0-476E-46CD-B5E8-322D68688A5A.jpeg
    234.9 KB · Views: 53
If I fed my tank like that I wouldn’t be able to see the fish for all the algae. Glad you are seeing positive results and have healthy growing fish.

Back