What exactly do I do????

JennM;370033 wrote: Whatever you are comfortable with. Online, people don't seem to have an age as such (well some do... but I could get in trouble for saying that LOL!).. in person if it's more appropriate for you, "Miss Jenn" is what my kids' friends and younger customers call me - and even some of the old-fashioned folks who are older than me :D

Here, Jenn is fine... and in person too unless your family prefers it the other way - I know with my kids, they will call an adult by Mr. or Mrs/Miss... because that's what I've raised them to do... I still call my Mom's friends by Mrs. or whatnot - and I'm old enough to be your mom ;)

Smart young lady and polite too... LOVE THAT! Careful - I may want to adopt you :D

Jenn

Ok! I'll be happy to be your adoptee! Be at the next meeting, I'll be holding a sign that says "Looking for Jenn... she's my new mom!" :) LOL!

AndyMan;370060 wrote: Jenn, you're lucky it's not "dinner's in the dog" that's what I used to get as a kid :D oh wait, I still get that. . .

Great Going radha, Jenn won't steer you wrong!

I trust Miss Jenn.... sorta! JK.

JennM;370037 wrote: Dosage for Cupramine, or Prime?

Cupramine, 1 ml per 10.5 gallons or if it has a dropper cap, 16 drops per 10.5 gallons (I'd probably do 13-14 drops in a 10g, esp if it's not completely full)... err on the side of caution. It's easier to put another drop or two if you under-dose, than have to fool with changing water if you over-dose.

Prime: If you got the small bottle with the dropper top, I think it's one drop per gallon.. I'll have to look at work tomorrow. I can only find larger dosing which is 5 ml (one teaspoon) per 50 gallons... that would be 1 ml per 10g. The beauty of Prime is that it can be safely dosed at up to 5 times the dose, safely. Particularly handy if you have a large or unexpected ammonia spike (it's reef safe too - should be in everybody's 'emergency kit').

For now - just let it run. In a day or two we'll see where parameters are at and decide from there. Not a bad idea to start some new saltwater so it's ready when you need it... if you're mixing it in a bucket, just loosely cover the bucket so dust and stuff stays out of it and have a powerhead circulating it. Just remember to check SG before using it in case there's been any evap, if it's been aging for a few days.

Enjoy the movie!

Jenn

Hey Miss Jenn!
I was asking about the prime, but thanks anyways! I don't have a dropper top, but for my 20gal, I usually put half a cap in it. Should I put a quarter of a cap in? Like I said, tommorow is gonna be questions day, especially when I get ready to do the FW dip!
Thanks a bunch Miss Jenn!
Have a good night!! (of course, you won't sleep because you have insomnia and will be checking this at some ungodly hour! lol)
Radha :)

Well for me, 10:15 is an ungodly hour (usually)... and here I be...

I'll be at work tomorrow but I'll check in.

Jenn

JennM;370095 wrote: Well for me, 10:15 is an ungodly hour (usually)... and here I be...

I'll be at work tomorrow but I'll check in.

Jenn

Oh, yeah! You work saturdays! I just remembered (random thought) I haven't had ANYTHING to drink all day! Yeesh. I'm having a non-alchoholic pina' colada, it is yummy!! 10:15 is an ungodly hour?? But we were up till 11 doing this last night! lol! :) I'm super tired, and if I know anything, Miss Jenn, you should go to bed! :)
Radha (your future daughter, or how bout godmother, so I don't have to leave my parents! :))

A cap is 5 ml, so a half cap is 2.5 ml - fine for a 20 (actually fine for 25 gal). Yes 1/4 cap is fine - close enough, and as mentioned, Prime is safe at up to 5 times dosage. If "overdosing" keep an eye on your pH as it can cause it to dip a bit. If you are going to dose it heavily, do it early on in the photoperiod - pH tends to drop a bit overnight anyway.

OK... off to watch the news... night :)

Jenn

radha;370097 wrote: Oh, yeah! You work saturdays! I just remembered (random thought) I haven't had ANYTHING to drink all day! Yeesh. I'm having a non-alchoholic pina' colada, it is yummy!! 10:15 is an ungodly hour?? But we were up till 11 doing this last night! lol! :) I'm super tired, and if I know anything, Miss Jenn, you should go to bed! :)
Radha (your future daughter, or how bout godmother, so I don't have to leave my parents! :))

I work 7 days (I'm just "closed" for 1 1/2...but I'm there). Last night I had to pick up my kids at band at 10 so it was a late night for me.

I will turn into a pumpkin soon (or at least I'll look like a jack o'lantern in the morning!) Need to use Andy's coffee set gift to get mobile tomorrow!

Night (I mean it this time!)

Jenn

You are still looking at this thread. What did I tell you, missy?
lol! jk!

Dad got home late last night (even though I was still awake), so today I have help, that actually knows what they're doing. He wanted me to give a big thank you to Miss Jenn. Actually, I think we MIGHT be heading down to Imagine Ocean today or tommorow!! But, I better start gettin to work! One question--on the bottle of stability, it says don't turn your light on, and I have a UV light, which is what they said to turn off. When can I turn it back on? I dosed it at around 6:00, can I turn the light on now? I better start gettin to work, I'll see you today Miss Jenn, depending on how far away Canton is and if we even have time!
Thanks a bunch, again!
Radha :)

Stability, or Cupramine?

I'm heading to work in a few... I'll check it out.

Jenn

Do you have a UV on the QT?

Purpose of turning off UV/Ozone is because the Stability contains dentrifying bacteria in spore form. If you're adding it to the water, the spores will "hatch"... until they can find a surface to attach to, they will be suspended in the water column - if they go through a UV, the UV will kill them before they have a chance to settle on something. Ozone works a bit differently, but using it (which a few people still do) will kill it off too, thus defeating its purpose.

You cannot use UV with Cupramine either - it will be broken down more quickly by the UV also.

If you have UV on the main tank, keep it running - that will help kill off some of the ich that may be in the free-swimming stage of the life cycle. It's unlikely to get it all, as it's nearly impossible to get all of the water to pass through a UV - but it will definitely help.

Jenn

Ok, so I should turn off the light when dosing with the Cupramine? I might just change the lightbulb. Oh, yeah, I have a problem. It looks like the ich is almost gone off of her. I was thinking maybe I just get her into the QT, without the freshwater dip. I don't think she should stay in the main tank, but I don't think it is too drastic to do the FW dip. So, you said I should acclimate her into the QT, didn't you? Tell me how to do that, or if I should still do that, because it does have some of the main tank water in there.
Thanks again Miss Jenn!
Radha

Regular light is OK. UV is for a Ultraviolet sterilizer.

LOL at this point the fish may get over it on her own... which would be a good thing because waiting too long to treat often does not end well.

See if you can get a picture... we may need to revisit the entire plan.

HOWEVER... even if we do decide to leave her in the main tank... all is not lost... keep that QT up and running and if/when you buy a new fish... QUARANTINE it first before it goes into the main tank, and then many possible problems can be avoided.

Jenn

JennM;370231 wrote: Regular light is OK. UV is for a Ultraviolet sterilizer.

LOL at this point the fish may get over it on her own... which would be a good thing because waiting too long to treat often does not end well.

See if you can get a picture... we may need to revisit the entire plan.

HOWEVER... even if we do decide to leave her in the main tank... all is not lost... keep that QT up and running and if/when you buy a new fish... QUARANTINE it first before it goes into the main tank, and then many possible problems can be avoided.

Jenn

OK. I think I do wanna QT her, maybe not as long as we had said, but maybe like 6 days or so. I don't think I CAN keep the QT up and running for too long, it is a little more difficult to keep track of it, however, I might use it as a frag tank, and perhaps I if I get a fish, I could put it in the frag tank, because I'm pretty sure fish diseases can't spread to corals. But now, I'm probably not gonna do the FW dip. I'll get a pic up when the lights turn on, we'll see if it is enough to leave her in the main tank! Thanks a lot Miss Jenn!
Radha

Hey Miss Jenn!
Ok, so I think we have a plan. The clownfish is definetely getting better (pics to come later), and it would be more stressful to move her to the QT. So, we are gonna feed her everyday, with the garlic, then do water a 2 gallon water change every other day. I think maybe the water change I did yesterday helped, and the food will make her stronger. It's just not worth the stress to move her into the QT, and if she is getting worse, then we will move her into the QT. How does this plan sound? We might be stopping by there later today, to say hi, and check out the store!
Thanks Miss Jenn! Input and revising on the plan is welcome!
Radha

Glad the clownfish is doing better already, Radha. Sounds like you caught it early! If your not going to be able to keep the other tank up as QT, my vote is for frag tank.

tjherman;370266 wrote: Glad the clownfish is doing better already, Radha. Sounds like you caught it early! If your not going to be able to keep the other tank up as QT, my vote is for frag tank.

Ya, me too. But I don't really know how to frag thing, and I don't have many things to frag.... I kinda wanted it to be a regular reef tank, not a utility tank... plus I have a 5 gallon tank. I really don't know what to do with them, but I do wanna use them.

Sounds good... just know that you can't medicate in a frag tank (at least not with Cupramine)...but I think you are moving in the right direction.

Another option is to leave the fish in the DT and get some Metronidazole & Focus - that's safe to use in the DT.

Jenn

Back