Let the games... BEGIN!!

hehe. I've tried lots of DIY things and 80% of the time I failed... I don't diy anymore.....

OceanDeep85;969776 wrote: Yeah, Josh. I guess what I'm really talking about is a chain of PVC, DIY reactors. I've been working on it for a while and I've honestly even gotten down to using some of CALtech's programs to calculate flow and everything.

I'm reinventing the wheel.. but it's my friggin' wheel.. knamean!?

haha
I can dig it. Pretty simple concept really. Look close at the pictures of the reactor I linked. If you could come in the top of the 6" cylinder, run the water straight to the bottom inside the cylinder with a smaller PVC pipe and then have the water move back up through the cylinder from the bottom it will maximize your media's effectiveness. Rather than water passing by or around the media it has to move through all of it, evenly, because that's how gravity works if the smaller pipe is in the center and the cylinder is upright. Stuff filter floss (synthetic pillow stuffing, aka polyfil, $3 for a huge bag at Walmart) in the top and bottom for mechanical filtration and to contain the media and keep it from moving on to the next reactor.

This is your most effective design
calc%20react.jpg
alt="" />

hmm.. my design was similar, but instead of bringing the flow to the bottom and having it work back up it was a literal one directional flow chain.. so, for instance, if the flow comes in the top of one pipe, it will move through floss, then the media (carbon, matrix, phosban.. etc.) and then through more floss and out a ball valve connector in the bottom to the next tube/reactor. The flow would have it move from the bottom of that tube to the top and then over through a ball valve to the next.. then down.. you get the picture. I've played with having the chambers up and down or stacked on top of one another on their sides.. but for effectiveness of filtration.. my gut tells me to line them up top to bottom, side by side instead of having them on their sides.

I think it'll be an interesting experiment nonetheless. I'm excited to get started. Probably not until next weekend or next month.. the younger sister is in town and I've been playing tour guide.. went to the aquarium and the world of coke, then over to Oakwood cemetery and all that today. Great day.

The aquarium is OUT STANDING.

Yeah definitely leave them upright. Depending on what media is in what reactor, it probably won't matter if the flow is top to bottom in some. But some media, like carbon, GFO, phosban, etc, needs to tumble. It won't tumble in the reactor unless the flow is pushing it up. It will clump. Other media, like matrix, or the less effective practically useless bioballs, then it wouldn't matter

I sent you a pm lol. Good luck with the DIY reactors. Hopefully you have better luck then I did. Im still trying to figure out how I'm going to do my next project.......

JC_k;969794 wrote: I sent you a pm lol. Good luck with the DIY reactors. Hopefully you have better luck then I did. Im still trying to figure out how I'm going to do my next project.......

Tell me it's a clown breeding setup!

You're recommending it tumble, Josh? That's interesting. Most of the stuff I've heard is that you want it packed in tight so it doesn't crash into each other and cause it to break apart into dust.. especially carbon since it can be brittle. That's interesting. Good news, actually, since it will probably cost me less in overall materials and I'll have to worry a little less about how to make sure it's secure in the chamber.

JDavid;969795 wrote: Tell me it's a clown breeding setup!

Haha yes and no. I'm hopefully going to have a breeding setup in about 3-4 moths when I can PAY FOR IT lol. I just need to try and get some jobs. It's defineltly costly and I've been seeing some good deals on spawning pairs but I can't buy then because I have no extra tanks set up right now... I'm actually getting a ps3 and taking it apart and and "jailbreaking it". It's so I can physically change games when I play them. It will also make me some money but the clown setup with be a while.

OceanDeep85;969799 wrote: Did you say "Jailbreak", JC? You know I'm going to be a lawyer.. right!? he he heee....

haha

Yep LOL don't tell anyone hehe.... It's completely legal now. LOL.

OceanDeep85;969796 wrote: You're recommending it tumble, Josh? That's interesting. Most of the stuff I've heard is that you want it packed in tight so it doesn't crash into each other and cause it to break apart into dust.. especially carbon since it can be brittle. That's interesting. Good news, actually, since it will probably cost me less in overall materials and I'll have to worry a little less about how to make sure it's secure in the chamber.

Yeah, you want it to tumble for sure. You can catch any dust in a polyfil filled chamber that would be a good last chamber before the water returns to the tank. Plus the stuff is so cheap you can just pull it out, throw it away, and replace it every so often. It would be like one $3 bag every two changes

JC_k;969794 wrote: I sent you a pm lol. Good luck with the DIY reactors. Hopefully you have better luck then I did. Im still trying to figure out how I'm going to do my next project.......

I saw you said it can't be a slim. That's a shame, because I got tired of having to press the eject button on mine a few times to get it to spit out a disc (or slide a credit card in there to hold the slot open) so I bought one of the super slim ones with the sliding door for disc loading. Of course like a week later they announced the ps4 lol

I was using the slim still for Netflix,Hulu, etc in another room but it's been in a box for months now

Yeah I would love to have a ps4 but it's way to expensive for me.

That's actually a hell of a good point, Josh. I didn't even think about that. It might cost me $2 to add another chamber and I could add all fine floss to that chamber as a great way to put a final 'polish' on it before it reenters the display.

I'll work that math out.

Looks like my 5 chamber system just went to a 6...

haha

Would it be a good idea to put filter floss in the beginning of the reactor to keep stuff from getting in it clogging it up?

yeah, so.. basically if you can imagine each chamber..

water comes in the top (or bottom).. will pass through a filter media like floss or sponge or some mechanical filter media.. then will pass through bio filtration media or chemical filtration media, then through a thin layer of floss or mechanical before passing through to the next tube. But with Josh's idea, this will give me two chambers of pure mechanical filtration.. beginning and end.

Back