nitrate dilemma

Brightwell just came out with nitrate and phosphate additives for this very problem. That's probably what you want.

tater;1042876 wrote: Brightwell just came out with nitrate and phosphate additives for this very problem. That's probably what you want.

you have them at your store?

btw both pink lemonades are encrusting. what was that other tyree piece i have?

Russ-IV;1042877 wrote: you have them at your store?

btw both pink lemonades are encrusting. what was that other tyree piece i have?

No I haven't ordered any yet but I'll see if I can, glad they're doing better. The other piece was a tyree 500 efflo

tater;1042878 wrote: No I haven't ordered any yet but I'll see if I can, glad they're doing better. The other piece was a tyree 500 efflo

500 efflo is the best grower so far. Although mine turned bright red for some reason. I'll stop by this weekend and see if you have any other cool pieces :)

I wouldnt get the phosphate additive. I messed with it, and i just introduced stress and grew turf algae. I just cut gfo off and let whatever trace po4 do it's thing until it shows up on my test kit.

Russ-IV;1042842 wrote: ive been feeding every other day cyclopeze and oyster feast. it held steady .5 ppm nitrate but im losing it again.

i can add another fish, however i am hesitant on what fish to add. i have....

2 mandarin dragonets
1 yellow tang
1 regal tang
1 melenarus wrasse
1 watchman goby

i am all for options considering they are very reef safe.

Why not add a clown? Everyone loves a "Circus!" :D

Wannabee

Catgirl29;1042883 wrote: Sorry - I think we all misunderstood that you were only feeding every other day.

sorry i feed the corals every other day. (i think i meantioned the coral food unless fish can eat oyster feast)

i feed fish morning and evening

WannabeeaReefKeeper;1042886 wrote: Why not add a clown? Everyone loves a "Circus!" :D

Wannabee

lol because they just swim against a powerhead treading water all day without a host. or swim aiming down against an overflow.

fish eat cyclopeeze, so I figured one was for fish and the other was for everything else.

Crew;1042888 wrote: fish eat cyclopeeze, so I figured one was for fish and the other was for everything else.

yeah they will eat the larger "bits" flying around the water column but i wouldnt call that a meal lol.

You also mentioned cyano being visibly present. I once had an "outbreak" and through some research and through others, I found out I actually had detectable nitrates and phosphates. I was thrown off because the cyano was consuming(fueling) it. Once I treated the cyano and retested, I found out I had 10ppm of Nitrate.

Something to consider...

Sn4k33y3z;1042908 wrote: You also mentioned cyano being visibly present. I once had an "outbreak" and through some research and through others, I found out I actually had detectable nitrates and phosphates. I was thrown off because the cyano was consuming(fueling) it. Once I treated the cyano and retested, I found out I had 10ppm of Nitrate.

Something to consider...

im assuming by treated you used chemiclean and skimmed it up?

Russ-IV;1042920 wrote: im assuming by treated you used chemiclean and skimmed it up?

I used Chemi-pure. I wouldn't think twice about using it again. Your skimmer becomes useless once the dosage is added. As it will over-skim for severals and maybe a week. However, that is OK as you're adding oxygen back into the system.

No matter what you do, there will ALWAYS be a dominate alage form in the system...

I still suspect you have the same issue I had going on. I think your nitrates are much higher then you think, but your cyano and othe alage's are consuming it as food and fueling their growth. So in essence, if you're testing with a salifert kit, you may be getting a .5 nitrate reading.

Because not many people have this issue. I came across a poor guy who is undergoing my issue as well. Albeit, not as extreme.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2368351">http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2368351</a>

combination of cooking corals, higher than 7.5 alk with ulns
Im glad i caught the last part about no3 without po4 will kill corals from another's experience.

Time to look in to the [IMG]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redfield_ratio">redfield ratio</a>

[QUOTE=][B]Sn4k33y3z;1042939 wrote:[/B] I used Chemi-pure. I wouldn't think twice about using it again. Your skimmer becomes useless once the dosage is added. As it will over-skim for severals and maybe a week. However, that is OK as you're adding oxygen back into the system.

No matter what you do, there will ALWAYS be a dominate alage form in the system...

I still suspect you have the same issue I had going on. I think your nitrates are much higher then you think, but your cyano and othe alage's are consuming it as food and fueling their growth. So in essence, if you're testing with a salifert kit, you may be getting a .5 nitrate reading.[/QUOTE]

i also know that there is always a balance in a system if you just wait it out.
I'm not going to nuke my system with antibiotics and add another unnecessary variable.
Tbh, i dont find cyano as bad as other's make it out to be unless you let it get out of hand. If i get tired of it, ill lights-out for 2 days.
I introduced phyto to jump start the dominant strain of algae I wanted for that very purpose.

All those antibiotics kill all bacteria, heterotrophs, anaerobic, aerobic, everything.... not to mention die off. (maybe 10ppm of it)

I will admit i considered purchasing a skimmer just to bomb cyano, but im keeping with my original plan unless I see the need.

for now ill chalk it up as the "uglies" stage of a newer tank

Russ-IV;1042832 wrote: ok so... bare with me because im sure ill be branded a heretic.

what do you think skimmate is? there was an article on live aquaria about it but it fit my hypothesis. it isnt all that oil slick you see at the top of your aquarium. it is non discriminate. your oil slick is not "green poo" either. you are sucking up everything. phyto, excrements, copepods, bristle worms... everything. its just science.

copepods and amphipods need some sort of phyto as do a number of corals and other life. imho it is most aggressive with the lowest form of life. eg phyto. once phyto is out, copepods and other inverts hve to rely on macro algae. turf algae, etc. your cuc cleans up a majority of this. but you killed the first line in the food chain. copepods and amphipods die in dt while they thrive in the fuge just to be sucked up later in the dt. they eat diatoms, detritus etc but you cut off their main food source to thrive.

not only that but you are sucking up trace elements that are replenished with wcs.

pick up any rock in your aquarium and let the powerhead blow it off. see all that trash in the water column? i dont have it. i have white heterotrophs attached in a stringy chain of clear gobs. quite different than the trash i saw before.

also cyano thrives on carbon dosing. we all have cyano. its just to what extent. atm im dealing with a new tank and itll still be around, just like everyone else. but it has to balance via mother nature.

by all means, dont change what you do because of what i am attempting. every system is different and if u have a huge bioload i dont see how the micro and nano fauna will adapt.

commence the burning.

Heretic or not this whole thread is nuttier than squirt turds....

Russ-IV;1042822 wrote: i am skimmerless. that is my point.

id get in to the background of my setup but i dont want to ruffle feathers.

my hypothesis after doing this "test" is that a skimmer creates more nitrates than it removes. crazy right?

thats why i did it this way. i can afford a 1/2 hp chiller but not a skimmer? cmon. the issue i observed with my 220 was 2 things. one, once nitrate got super high it saturated the rocks and the sand bed. it kept leaching it for years. biopellets, vodka, etc.

i got so paranoid i went el natural. i figured if i cycled my tank, threw in a crap ton of zooplankton and phyto that it would take care of the detritus for me. no crabs messing with my lps, no peppermint shrimp scavenging my corals.
i made sure nitrate never hit 20 ppm.

i made a crude ats in place of my skimmer. threw in a dsb in the fuge and just used a gfo reactor for po4.

i knew phyto would cloud my tank up so i figured id use carbon if

FYI No3 does not bind to sand or rock.

Last and if your stance is you want more No3 and you subscribe to a skimmer creates more No3 than it removes :doh: .... My light bulb is telling me you should incorporate a skimmer to do with what it is designed not to do or to do in your situation.

DawgFace;1042994 wrote: FYI No3 does not bind to sand or rock.

Last and if your stance is you want more No3 and you subscribe to a skimmer creates more No3 than it removes :doh: .... My light bulb is telling me you should incorporate a skimmer to do with what it is designed not to do or to do in your situation.

what is the most abundant algae in the ocean?
it doesnt reproduce off unicorns and rainbows
your skimmer removes it first.

case in point.

lol@substrate and rocks not leeching nitrate. you can do a 100% water change, clean that same substrate and still have turf algae growing off it.

why do you think people switch out their substrates every few years? its not just po4.
crushed coral traps detritus but even if you clean it, its still bound up.

i had nitrate issues for a year with my 220 and couldnt get it below 20 until i changed the substrate and rocks.

ask anyone or check youtube of people with the same issue.

also. too many people have ditched their skimmer and biopellets for the very same issue. countless articles litter the net.

i have no pellets, no skimmer, feed my pants off, and still have nitrates i cant keep above .5 ppm. skimmer has already been invalidated.

the only time i would use a skimmer is if the tank was overstocked and you had too much poo and trash for your natural biosphere to take care of it.
even then... you will still have nitrates climbing and have to resort to an ats or carbon.

In all my years I've never found an amphipod or bristleworm in my skimmer cup.

Maybe you're doing it wrong?

If a skimmer is working properly, it's fractionating proteins.. the ones that cause the surface tension that create the bubbles, which collect in the cup.

In all my years I've never met anyone who either had trouble accumulating nitrate... or wanted to.

My head hurts :)

Jenn

aafeature">what is my skimmer really picking up

Ignoring all of the scientific issues with the process in that article, it makes a pretty strong case for running a skimmer.

Crew;1043008 wrote: Ignoring all of the scientific issues with the process in that article, it makes a pretty strong case for running a skimmer.

In summary, the skimmer is pulling out a solid, water-insoluble mixture of compounds that consist by weight of (approximately):

44 % of CaCO3
5% of MgCO3
11% of biogenic opal
34% of organic material
0.5% of phosphate</em>

50% of your skimmate is calcium carbonate and magnesium carbonate.

to each their own.

http://www.waldonell.com/reef/reef-articles/what-is-in-your-skimmate/">biological analysis of skimmate</a>

not doc only

Back